Is Wd40 Electrically Conductive? (Quick Answers)

WD40 plays a vital role in our lives. It protects the metals from rust, replaces water, acts as a fine lubricant, and many other things.

Wd40 is a life savior for those with children. You don’t need to worry about the crayon marks on your walls as long as you got your hands on WD40.

Amongst the many applications of WD40 rises a question. Is WD40 electrically conductive? We often think about using them on our electrical appliances. Would it be wise?

Here is everything that you need to know regarding the conductivity of WD40.

Is wd40 electrically conductive?

Wd40 is not electrically conductive. It will not allow electrical charge to pass through it, which is good as it will prevent current from reaching places that you do not want it to and will also prevent something cross-connecting. It will also let the metal wires pass electricity easily.

WD stands for water displacement. WD is an amazing spray that has various functions. It can also be used on electrical appliances.

There is no need to worry about its conductivity which may alter the functions of the electrical appliance. WD displaces water and prevents water from entering the area of the appliance where the spray is used.

As we know water is a good conductor of electricity, WD40 displaces water and makes the electrical equipment risk-free for the user as WD40 does not conduct electricity.

It is safe for low voltage electrical circuits. It is considered to be one of the best cleaners for electrical circuits because of its nonconductivity, ability to dry fast, and leaving no remaining.

WD40 makes the connections in the electrical appliance stronger. It also lubricates the appliance and prevents the formation of rust.

Due to its multiple functions, WD40 is ideal for electrical appliance/circuit uses.

Can wd40 cause a short circuit?

Yes, it is possible for WD40 to cause a short circuit in high voltage appliances. WD40 is oil-based. The oil trail it leaves behind attracts dirt. It acts as a sort of a magnet.

The dirt that gets attracted can cause a short circuit in a very high voltage appliance. However, it is extremely unlikely to have a short circuit in a low voltage appliance such as 10-14 volts.

It can cause a short and melt the plugin if the voltage is too high. It is always advised to use carefully on high voltage equipment as the short circuit might result in a dangerous shock.

There are other cleaning methods and lubricants for extremely high voltage appliances. Safety precautions should be your utmost priority even if it’s too much work.

Three reasons why you should not use WD40 on electrical parts?

As much as the wonders WD40 can bring in your life, there are always some drawbacks. Using Wd40 on electrical appliances can be harmful in certain conditions.

Here are three reasons explained in detail, why you should not use WD40 o electrical part.

Dirt Magnet:

Wd40 is oil-based hence it leaves an oil trail wherever it is sprayed. The oil trail attracts dirt which is very difficult to clean in electrical appliances.

The dirt can also be a source for short circuits in high voltage appliances. This minor issue of oil collecting dirt creates a major setback for the wonders of WD40.

Flammable:

Wd40 is flammable which is hazardous. The residue of the lubricant is also flammable.

In high voltage appliances, the production of heat energy is very common. The heat will result in catching fire if it comes in contact with the residue of the lubricant.

Toxic:

Using it on electrical parts may cause some of it to combust. Inhalation of WD40 is toxic.

It can cause mouth irritation, dizziness, nausea. If somehow WD40 is swallowed it has severe side effects such as gastrointestinal irritation, nervous system effects, diarrhea, etc.

Is wd40 good for electrical connections?

It is the best for cleaning electrical connections however there are certain drawbacks of using WD40 on electrical connections.

WD40 dries really fast and leaves a very little residue which makes it the best cleaning spray for electrical components.

However, the residue it leaves is oil-based and it attracts dirt. The dirt can cause a short circuit in high-voltage appliances.

As a lubricant Wd40 is very good for electrical connections. However, it should be used carefully as it can be hazardous for high voltage appliances.

However, it is safe to use on appliances such as switchboards, battery terminals, circuit boards, etc.

What can I use instead of electrical contact cleaner?

Several things can be used for electrical contact cleaners. We cannot simply ignore the fact that our electrical appliances require cleaning even if it’s slightly dangerous.

Below provided is a detailed explanation of three alternatives that can be your life savior.

Isopropyl alcohol:

The isopropyl 99% is proven to be very effective in terms of cleaning electrical appliances. It dries extremely fast and leaves no residue.

Isopropyl mixture above 90% is ideal for usage in circuit boards and around 70% is enough to clean up adhesive dirt over the appliance. But need to be careful in case of spilling.

Amazon Brand - Solimo 91% Isopropyl Alcohol First Aid Antiseptic, 32 Fl Oz (Pack of 6)

Vinegar:

It is one of the options but it is not a suitable one. Vinegar is a mild acid and it takes time for the vinegar to dry.

If the residue has not vanished from the surface then there is a chance of a short circuit taking place.

The risk is not much worth taking as the appliance might get damaged. So, vinegar is only suitable for low voltage and mild electric components.

Lucy's Family Owned - Natural Distilled White Vinegar, 1 Gallon (128 oz) - 5% Acidity

Rubbing alcohol:

It can be used instead of an electrical contact cleaner as people have easy access to it. It may seem to be the same as isopropyl alcohol but it is not.

It has approximately 50% isopropyl component which means there are other substances present in the mixture.

It is safe to use in electrical components and is an effective method of cleaning.

Isopropyl Alcohol 99% (IPA) Made in USA - USP-NF Medical Grade - 99 Percent Concentrated Rubbing Alcohol (1 Liter)

Is WD-40 safe for circuit boards?

Since WD-40 is not conductive it is safe to use in circuit boards. However, it is not the ideal option as WD-40 is oil-based which leaves an oil trail on the appliance.

The oil trail attracts dirt which can create a short circuit and cause damage to high voltage. Hence it is safe to use but it is not the safest option.

Isopropyl alcohol is better for circuit boards. It is safer than Wd-40.

Can you spray WD40 in a light socket?

Yes, you can spray WD40 in a light socket but it is highly discouraged. WD-40 can be used to remove the dirt adhered to the light socket. The metal inside can be protected.

It is not recommended whatsoever, as it can damage the electrical components that are present behind the lights if the light is broken.

It can be used as a lubricant and cleaner both in a light socket. However, it can cause a short circuit. Wd 40 is also flammable.

So, it is not a good idea to use it in a light socket but it is possible.

Is WD40 a dielectric?

Yes, WD40 is a dielectric. It cannot conduct electricity. It has a dielectric strength of 35 kV. WD 40 can protect appliances due to its dielectric abilities.

For example, if an electric appliance came in contact with water and stopped responding, spraying WD40 can restore the appliance, and again if it comes in contact with water the appliance will not get affected as long as it has the effect of WD40.

Is wd40 flammable?

Yes, wd40 is flammable. Even the residue lubricant is flammable. This is one of the major setbacks in the usage of wd40.

High voltage electrical appliances can heat up easily. The Wd40 lubricant residue may come in contact with the extreme heat and catch fire. It will destroy the entire appliance instead of protecting and cleaning. 

Any source of ignition needs to be kept away from wd40. A well-ventilated space is required without the presence of an ignition source while using WD40.

However, it is extremely unlikely for WD40 to catch fire due to the appliance heating but it is a possibility.

Nevertheless, we cannot use WD40 on high voltage appliances anyway because it can cause a short circuit.

Final thoughts

To sum it up, WD40 is not electrically conductive. It is dielectric. It is great a lubricant and cleaning spray. But, due to its oil trail attracting dirt particles, it is not suitable for application in high voltage appliances or circuit boards. It can cause a short circuit and is also flammable.