Skip to Content

Is Spackle Poisonous to Dogs? (All You Need to Know)

The spackle, or you may also know as the drywall mud, is an excellent drywall component. It helps us to decorate the wall or cover the joint. It can also be used over some paint if you love to re-decorate the painted wall, but the condition is primer.

However, you should always cover your face and mouth before applying the spackle to the drywall because the ingredients are not safe for human breath or any pet. Although the smell of the spackle is safe, you need to avoid it.

Is spackle poisonous to dogs?

The spackle is not poisonous to dogs; in fact, your pet dogs will love to eat some portion of the spackle. But the truth is, overeating the spackle might damage the pet’s stomach, stick to the throat, and create breathing issues. For these reasons, you must avoid feeding spackles to dogs.

Mainly, the wall spackle is hard once it dries; or remains muddy when you apply. It has a smell that attracts the pets primarily. Consequently, the pet or the dog will try to taste it and devour it within a while. They don’t have any sense of digestion.

If they eat the wall spackle, it will create stomach issues and become toxic to the entire digestive system. Some portions of the spackle might be fine, but if the dogs eat large spackles, it will be dangerous for their health.

Also, the spackle will create irritation to the skin and the inside stomach. So, whenever you see your dog’s feeling uncomfortable after eating the spackle, you need to look after it. If the irritation increases, you need to ask for help from the vet.

You cannot solve the irritation or digestion problem by using any home ingredients; you have to take help from a professional doctor. He may prescribe the required medicine and advise you on dealing with the situation. 

But the best practice would be to refrain your dogs from eating spackle.

You can do it in several ways that we will talk about later. For now, you should take the advice that spackle is not safe for the dog’s health. It will create digestion issues and breathing problems.

What is spackle made of?

Spackle is made of gypsum, and folios. It is used to fix tiny openings, breaks, and different flaws like gouges in drywall, mortar dividers, here and there in the wood. It comes in powdered or pasted structures. The paste structure is the most regularly utilized and known. 

In reality, spackle itself is an enlisted brand name, yet it is generally used to portray spackling compounds. It can be used as a spackle, but it is better for covering holes and joints.

How toxic is spackle?

Ethylene glycol is a highly harmful material, but it is used in minimal amounts in spackle, not generally harming health. Spackles can be called mild toxic that does not have much effect on the dogs. However, since it contains harmful elements, it can slowly affect the body. 

So when using spackle at home, you need to carefully monitor its composition so that it does not contain excessive amounts of harmful ingredients. You can safely use it in your home if you follow these.

What happens if your dog eats spackle?

If your dog eats spackle, it will face different health issues. Although a small amount of the spackle is safe for the pet’s health, if they take the drywall mud as their main meal, it will create issues, and the below things will happen: 


If your dog overeats spackle or drywall mud, it will be vomiting for a long time, taking a small break. Because the spackle components are not safe for the dogs or any pets, when they eat, they unknowingly create difficulties that eventually end up vomiting. 

Digestion Problem: 

It’s an obvious symptom that the dog will face a digestion problem because it will fail to digest the spackle components and will create stomach issues. Only when the dog eats a small portion of the spackle may it digest it without any problem. 

But the difficulties will arise from a large amount of spackle.

Gas in the Stomach: 

Another thing that will happen is the stomach’s gas. If your dog eats speckles or other drywall compounds, they will create gas. They will lose the taste and fail to solve the stomach problem. 

Eventually, it may vomit or show concern for the unpleasant stomach condition.


Here is the last thing if your dog eats a spackle. The irritation means stomach problems, skin issues, and irritation inside the skin. When the dogs eat excessive spackle at a time, they will face irritation problems. 

Once you observe such an imbalance or incident, you need to call a vet and buy the required medicine.

What should I do if my dog ate spackle?

If your dog ate spackle, you should do the following things one after another. Remember, you need to call the vet and take help from him in severe situations. 

Carefully Observe the Symptoms: 

Since the dog can eat spackles and digest it too, you don’t need to worry about its health. If your dog overeats its spackle, you must take care of it and observe its health condition. It will be better to check the health and find out the difficulties.

Here observation is the primary concern. You need to be careful and go to the next step if you find any unusual behavior or noticeable symptoms.

Offer water: 

When you find your dog unpleasant and facing stomach issues, you should offer some water. Don’t give too much water; only one glass of water or a half-glass would do. Slowly let the dog drink the water; it may sort out everything within a moment.

Call a Vet: 

If your dog still faces issues and can’t breathe properly, you must call a vet immediately. You cannot wait for the further symptoms and use any home therapy. Maybe the spackle is stuck to the throat or ruining the stomach. 

If you wait for a long time, or even a day, it might damage your dog’s health.

Provide Medicine & Follow Instructions: 

Once you can get the vet and take prescribed medicines, you need to follow the instructions and feed those medicines to your dogs. It will be a great help to the dogs to recover soon and get healthy again.

Why do dogs like spackle?

Spackles can be an excellent treat for dogs both when it’s wet and after it dries because they feel attracted to them and want to eat. The smell and taste of spackle attract dogs even though it does not feel good after eating. 

Moreover, its fumes often appeal to the dog and then it is driven to eat. In addition, dogs tend to try to figure out what new things will taste like.

How to keep dogs from eating spackle?

You can take some precautions and apply some home ingredients like cayenne pepper to keep dogs from eating spackle. Let’s follow these tips and keep the dogs away from the eating spackle. 

Use Cayenne Pepper: 

You can make a cayenne pepper spray and use it on the drywall mud or spackle. It will deter the dogs since they can’t bear the cayenne pepper smell. You need to follow the process of making the spray.

First, take a pan and boil the water; then, you need to add the cayenne pepper and mix well. Once it mixes and dissolves properly, you need to pour it into a bottle and start spraying on the spackle. The smell will keep away the dogs.

Buy Repellent: 

If you don’t love the cayenne pepper and are concerned about the dog’s health, you can buy a dog repellent. You will get it from any hardware shop. Then, you need to shake it well and start spraying over the drywall mud.

Remove Spackle: 

The best way to keep your dogs from eating drywall mud is to remove the spackle. You should remove the spackle from the surrounding area. Therefore, the dogs won’t find any spackle to eat and remain safe.

Are spackle fumes toxic to breathe?

The spackle fumes are mildly to not toxic to breathe. It is safe for pets. So, if you have pet dogs and you’re worried about the spackle fumes, you need to relax. It won’t harm or damage the dog’s health.

Although it’s not toxic, it’s better to avoid such fumes and take a fresh breath. It will help boost your immune system; however, the excess spackle fume is not ideal for breathing.

Final thoughts

Although spackle is not poisonous to dogs, you must avoid feeding your dog with any drywall mud. It will become a problem and cause some health issues. Mainly, your dog will face an irritated stomach and digestion problems. You should call a vet if needed.