Daybeds are one of the most efficient pieces of furniture because they can be used for many things. You can use it as a bed, a sofa, a couch, a chaise, and as additional seating for any corner in your home.
You can find daybeds of various styles and designs. They mostly come in one size.
It is a perfect way to style up empty corners of your home such as living rooms or home offices. But can you use it outdoors? Let’s talk about that!
Can you use a daybed outdoors?
You can use a daybed outdoors. It can be used in an open backyard, garden, or deck. There are daybeds that are specially made for the outdoors with weather-resistant features. Many people use a daybed outdoors to read a book, chill in the breeze, or enjoy nature. You can take a nap too.
Outdoor daybeds can change your outdoor experience entirely. You’ll be able to enjoy the view while relaxing on your daybed. Watch the sky change colors or curl up with a book. It will provide an element of style to your home and you will have an extra place to rest.
Can you use all daybeds outdoors?
Not all daybeds can be used outdoors. This is because outdoor daybeds have special features to accommodate the outside weather. Their fabric material, frame, as well as style, and design are different.
To use daybeds outdoors, the fabric has to be durable and fit for any kind of weather—hot, cold, rain, windy, and snow as well. The frame quality has to be good too for durability. The material it is made for is important.
Wood material will wear quickly than metal but is more resistant to water damage and pests. Highly weather-resistant materials are used on some models such as rattan or synthetic wicker.
How to make an outdoor daybed?
It can be hard to find an outdoor daybed suited to your liking and pricey too. Large ones can be as expensive as $4,000! This is because a lot of high-quality material is used in building one. To save money, you can make one yourself with some basic carpentry skills.
How to build an outdoor daybed with canopy?
You will need the following equipment and tools: spirit level, ladder, orbital sander, 60 grit sandpaper, 80 grit sandpaper, cordless drill, square bit, 65 mm cutting screws, square, tape measure, pencil, wood filler, scrapper, clear varnish, cloth, wood stain, paintbrush, foam roller, and tray.
- Step 1: Put all the pieces together to form the base of your box. Assemble the box using the 65 mm screws and a cordless drill. Use the square to ensure that the corners are at a 90-degree angle. Secure with wood glue and wipe away the excess glue using a cloth. Repeat the process with all four corners and the inner box.
- Step 2: Measure the posts 500 mm from the top and up using a tape measure then attach the base. Repeat the process for the other posts. Measure 100 mm from the top of the base upwards to assemble the top.
- Step 3: Position and attach the armrests in place. Attach the backrest in place with the help of a drill. Use a spirit level to check the level of the bed.
- Step 4: Attach the pieces for the canopy. Measure 100 mm between the timber pieces and screw it properly. Use wood filler to fill the holes and any other required areas. Once it is dry, sand down the entire bed.
- Step 5: Apply wood stain using a roller. The final step is to seal the daybed using clear varnish.
How do you make an outdoor daybed out of pallets?
First, you will need to purchase a mattress before your pallets. For this guide, you will need a 48’’X40’’ twin mattress. Other things that you will need are pallets, two large non-moving casters, three large casters that are swiveled with locks, outdoor polyurethane, a brush, sanding discs, grits, orbital sander, and eye protection goggles.
- Step 1: Sand down the pallets until they are smooth and splinter-free. Cut the base pallets down to size. Drill holes to attach the pallets. Secure them with a nut and a washer.
- Step 2: Place the casters on the corners and attach them using a drill and bolt. Don’t forget to secure them.
- Step 3: Cut the base of your bed to size using a circular drill. Coat it in polyurethane and let it dry before cutting it.
- Step 4: Assemble everything. Attach pipes together if you want arms on your daybed. Put bolsters or pillows on the end of each side. And you’re done!
How to make a patio daybed?
- Step 1: Cut the boards with a chop saw according to the size of your bed, frame, legs, sides, and slatted support for the mattress.
- Step 2: Build the frame. Layout a rectangle and attach them using screws. Attach legs to the bottom of the frame.
- Step 3: Add the arm. Attach them all using glue and screws. Attach the arms to the outside of the daybed platform with the same screws. Repeat the same steps for the other sides. Then create the backrest and keep them aligned with the armrests.
- Step 4: Attach the shorter pieces to the boards with the help of wood glue and screws. Let it dry and then screw to the rear of the daybed platform.
- Step 5: The last step is to secure the boards to the frame to support the mattress.
How many pallets make a daybed?
The number depends on the bed frame and the size of your daybed. You might need pallets between 3 to 16. Some daybeds are made out of 16 pallets. Not all of them will be the same type. For a simple pallet daybed, you will need two large 2-way stringer pallets and 1 CP3 block pallet. They will need to be of the same size and width as the base.
How to waterproof a mattress for outdoors?
Purchase a waterproof mattress protector:
They will cover your mattress from all sides including the bottom. There are waterproof mattress protectors of various sizes from Twin to Double or Full. Some of them are UV resistant, dry fast, stain and fade-resistant, and washable by machine.
This is a less expensive method to waterproof your mattress for outdoors. You will find ones in the form of fitted bed sheets and there are plastic encasings too.
However, plastic ones are often uncomfortable and noisy which might not be the wisest choice.
They also look tacky. Find ones that have a comfortable top layer and the second layer should be waterproof. Some waterproof sheets increase airflow to keep you cool on warm days.
This is the easiest solution to make your mattress waterproof. Spray the entire surface of the mattress after placing it outside. Keep six to eight inches distance from the fabric when you spray. Let it dry for a few hours and go for the second coat. Test to see if it works with a little water.
How to clean the daybed canopy?
You can clean a daybed canopy in many ways. You can clean it with water, a brush, and also detergent. Empty the daybed and take the mattress off. Then rinse the canopy with water using a water hose. Another option is detergent.
Mix a little bit of powdered detergent with warm water and clean the stained areas. You can also use a brush or broom to clean the canopy cover. Scrub in circular motions and rinse.
What is the most comfortable outdoor daybed?
There is no ranking for the most comfortable outdoor daybeds. This is because comfort levels differ from person to person. Whether a piece of furniture is comfortable for you or not can depend on other factors as well.
When it comes to daybeds, comfort depends more on the mattress than the daybed itself. If you have a low-quality mattress, your time spent on the daybed will cause you discomfort. Other factors play a role such as its purpose, weight capacity, size, and the type of pillow used.
A daybed that is too narrow might not be comfortable for sleeping regularly and a daybed that is compact will not be suitable for people who are taller than average. Some daybeds are not that good for use in living rooms. They might have high rails or arms.
Here are some top-ranked outdoor daybeds that are said to be comfortable:
- Bedford Outdoor Wicker Overhead Canopy Daybed with/without water-resistant cushion.
- Othello Outdoor Gray Finished Acacia Wood Daybed with water-resistant cushions.
- Marianna Gray Wood Sunbed With Gray Outdoor Mesh Canopy.
- Suncrown Outdoor Patio Round Circular Daybed with Retractable Canopy.
- Safavieh Outdoor Collection Tandra Teak Modern Contemporary Daybed.
Is memory foam good for outdoor cushions?
Memory foam is one of the most unique types of foam in the market today. It regulates temperature better than other types of foams. It is good for outdoor cushions because it features a cooling effect. It is not the same as trapping heat but it is very breathable due to its open cell structure.
Memory foam is so popular for outdoor furniture that it has also been given the name ‘miracle foam or wonder foam’. It has added chemicals that make it denser and is very soft and comfortable. It was initially developed to be used on the seating of space shuttles. Memory foam has an ideal combination of both support and comfort.
Although memory foam cushions have plenty of health benefits, they are not the wisest option for outdoor cushions. Instead of using memory foam, a dryfast foam is better for outdoor cushions. Outdoor furniture is exposed to water and moisture.
Daybeds can completely change the vibe of your backyard. It is advantageous not only for the look, but also for napping, reading, resting, and even sleeping! You can also watch the sunset and sunrise comfortably. The scenarios are endless.