Oven cleaners are common household items used amongst many families to help clean their ovens very easily. Not only is it efficient in getting rid of any stains, dirt, or grime, it is also very easy to use and not time-consuming.
However, since it is a very common item you might be wondering if it is indeed as safe to use as it may seem. Especially if you have children and the elderly at home because toxic fumes can easily hurt them.
Can oven cleaner fumes poison food?
Yes, oven cleaner fumes have certain ingredients that are highly toxic for humans and can easily get into your food and poison it. If you do not clean it away properly it is likely that the food will soak in the fumes and you will notice a change in smell. This can be very dangerous.
This should not deter you from using oven cleaners because at the end of the day they are very effective at cleaning off any germs and bacteria and also help keep your oven running well for a very long time.
However, you must be aware of the fact that there are very specific rules that you must follow to clean your oven when using an oven cleaner.
You must ensure to wash away the toxic fumes after using your oven cleaner to prevent the fumes from being absorbed into your food. There are sodium hydroxide and amphoteric elements that can be very detrimental to human health.
It can cause lifelong and irreversible conditions especially if you have been consuming it for a longer period of time. This is why it is very important for you to follow proper guidelines when cleaning your oven with an oven cleaner to prevent any poisoning.
If you do not have the time then it is best to leave it to the professionals instead of putting your life in danger.
How does oven cleaner fumes poison food?
There is a very specific way to use an oven cleaner safely. If it is used safely, it ensures that no toxic residue is left behind. If you do not follow proper protocols then when you use the oven next, the harmful residue emits inside the oven which is then absorbed by the food.
This can immediately poison your food depending on the amount of residue that is left behind. The biggest indicator is a change in the smell of your food.
There are certain harmful active ingredients present, which when consumed can severely end up harming you by causing damage to your airway and intestinal tract.
Are oven cleaner fumes toxic? Is oven cleaner harmful to humans?
Oven cleaner fumes are toxic, especially if there are certain guidelines you have to follow when using your specific one. This includes using it in an area that is ventilated properly and wearing goggles, gloves as well as face masks.
This means that your brand of oven cleaner contains certain active ingredients which can be damaging and harmful for humans, especially if it is used incorrectly.
Oven cleaner fumes might have certain active ingredients such as sodium hydroxide and many others that can be quite harmful to humans. It can not only irritate your respiratory tracts when breathed in high amounts, but it can also cause damage to your skin as well as your eyes.
This is why it is highly important that you are following all the proper methods when using your oven cleaners as if used incorrectly then over time it can cause significant damage.
Can oven cleaner fumes make you sick?
Yes, there is a possibility for oven cleaner fumes to make you sick. This is more likely to happen if you are using your oven cleaner incorrectly. If you are not using it in an area that is ventilated properly, there is a high chance that it can cause you severe breathing issues.
It can burn your breathing tract and nostrils as well as expand your mouth which can cause you to not speak or breathe properly. It can irritate, blur or burn your eyes and in some cases, it can also cause blindness.
In cases of consuming fumes that have been absorbed by your food through any residues present in your oven after cleaning, it can also be very dangerous. This is because it can cause damage to your stomach and intestinal tract and result in severe pain in your abdomen area.
These are all very dangerous conditions that can cause permanent damage. It is precisely why you must always ensure to use your oven cleaner properly and safely to avoid any dangerous situation.
What happens if you inhale oven cleaner fumes?
There are a lot of serious side effects that you must be aware of in any case of unfortunate inhalation of toxic oven cleaner fumes.
Swelling and Blisters:
This is more likely to happen to specific people that are more sensitive to fumes. Oven cleaner fumes can end up burning their lips which can further cause swelling and blistering.
The fumes can also harm the skin by causing redness, itchiness, and even burning which causes the skin to peel.
Breathing in too much of the toxic fumes can be very harmful. This can not only burn the respiratory tracts and your nose but can also inflame and expand the throat and tongue. This can endanger your life as it will prevent you from talking and breathing.
Damage to the eyes:
The fumes can irritate your eyes and cause a loss of vision. In some cases, the pain in the nose, throat, and mouth can water and blur your vision, preventing you from seeing.
In more cases, the fumes can cause damage as a burning sensation to your food pipe. As a result, it can lead to vomiting and too much abdominal pain. It can also cause low blood pressure which might lead you to faint.
Is it safe to cook after using Easy Off Oven cleaner?
It is certainly not safe to cook immediately after using any kind of oven cleaner and especially Easy-Off oven cleaner. This is because these oven cleaners contain certain active ingredients that might end up being absorbed by your food and be very harmful to your health.
Such ingredients include sodium hydroxide which is highly alkaline and can cause a lot of damage. When it comes to Easy-Off oven cleaner, it is stated on the back for you to ensure to wipe off any remaining residue by using a water and vinegar solution.
This will take away any fumes and make it safe for you to continue to cook your food in the oven without the food picking up any active and harmful chemicals.
How long after cleaning an oven with a commercial product can I cook?
After cleaning your oven out with a commercial product you should always ensure to wipe any residue down with a combination of water and vinegar mixture.
This will ensure to take away any active chemicals that might be absorbed by your food and as a result, be harmful to your health. However, for the extra precaution, you should follow one extra step.
Once you are done cleaning your oven with the vinegar and water solution, switch it on to the highest heat and leave it for thirty minutes so that any residue can fully evaporate and make your oven fully safe to use.
What are the harmful effects of oven cleaner?
There are a lot of harmful effects on human health if the oven cleaner is not used properly. If used in an enclosed space without proper protection, breathing in the fumes for a long period of time can be really harmful.
It can cause skin burns, allergies, redness, and blisters. It can also harm tissues present in your breathing tract and food pipe and burn your nostrils. This will end up inflaming your mouth and tongue which will make it very difficult for you to breathe.
If the fumes are consumed via food poisoning then it can be even more harmful as the toxic chemicals can end up damaging the walls of your intestinal tract. It can cause terrible abdominal pain, vomiting. You might vomit blood or your stoop might end up being bloody.
There are numerous side effects of oven cleaners solely because of harmful active agents present such as alkaline sodium hydroxide. It is very important that you maintain proper instructions and use them safely to avoid any serious damage.
Ensure to keep it out of reach for children because even the liquid is very harmful to touch for sensitive skin.
Oven cleaner fumes can very easily poison food when not used properly since there are specific guidelines to follow. The rules themselves are not difficult, but they can be very time-consuming. If you are not able to clean away the residue thoroughly then it is best to hire a professional.
I am an architect with over 5 years of experience in the design and installation of interior and exterior design projects. I have also been a home improvement expert for many years, so I know how to improve your home’s look and feel. I would love to help you build the perfect home for your family!
Read more about the author here.