Black mold normally grows in moisture. They are very harmful due to generating mycotoxins. They also grow rapidly. If they start to build up in the house, you should take steps as early as possible to get rid of them.
What causes black mold in the water bottle?
Black mold can grow in the water bottle as they find it favorable and obtain all the basic needs inside it. As black mold requires continuous moisture, less air and damp surface to flourish and the bottle contains water inside it, it’s likely a convenient place for them to build up.
Molds will spread anywhere they find a convenient and favorable environment for doing so. Due to the lack of airflow and the water bottle’s constant moist surface, there is a high likelihood that mold will develop there.
These factors increase the chance of the water bottle developing dangerous black mold. In addition to the dirty and damp water bottle, molds are likely to develop and generate odors.
Since a water bottle retains water, mold can grow there with the help of the moisture. The reason is, black mold needs moisture to flourish and continue their growth in the water bottle.
Unclean water bottle:
Mold is more likely to thrive into dirt, greasy and unclean areas. If the water bottle is not regularly cleaned, mold will grow there and eventually coat the inside of the water bottle.
Less air, light and a damp surface:
Mold requires moisture and air as essential nutrients, so a water bottle with less air and a damp surface encourages the growth of mold as the sunlight is dreadful to them because its photons can destroy them.
What does mold in water bottle look like?
The inside of the water bottle will become discolored by the black mold, which usually looks like a greenish coat but can also be grayish or blackish.
The enzymes or toxins that the molds in the water produce react with the plastic of the water bottle or water pipe’s surface to cause this discoloration, which also leaves an interior layer of blackish color and emits a strong musty odor.
In a water bottle:
Black molds are known to form a blackish or greenish coating inside the water bottle with a terrible odor due to the mold’s toxins and enzymes. Constant wetness in the water bottle allows black mold to grow inside it.
In water bottle straws or pipes:
Black molds will also cause the same type of discoloration in water bottle straws or pipes, producing a blackish layer on the inside or outside.
The color of the molds may occasionally differ from the color of the pipes; for example, if the pipes are transparent, the molds will display a grayish layer.
In water bottle caps:
Because the dampness inside the cap encourages the growth of the mold, the mold will develop inside the cap and cause a discoloration of black or gray and an earthy odor.
How to get rid of black mold in the water bottle?
As black mold causes various harmful health issues if ingested or consumed, getting rid of it is necessary. Regular cleaning with disinfection solutions or detergents in hot water can work effectively. Also, the vinegar and bleach solution can prevent mold growth to a great extent.
Black mold growth in the water bottle and the water bottle pipes can be avoided by using disinfection solutions or detergents with very acidic chemicals. As vinegar contains acid, this reacts with the fungus’s cell wall to make its surface porous and prevents further mold growth.
Some elements, such as bleach, vinegar also aid in the destruction of mold by generating oxidizing molecules that interact with the mold and stop its growth.
As molds are sensitive to hot temperatures, regularly cleaning water bottles with hot water can help to prevent the growth of black mold. By disrupting the surface, hot water also helps to disrupt the cell walls of black molds, preventing their survival in water bottles or pipes.
Cleaning water bottles with glutaraldehyde solutions also prevents mold by ninety percent. After cleaning, it is important to dry them as molds like moisture will again survive.
Besides, try to keep the water bottles in dry places where humidity is lower, as humidity facilitates the molds. It’s better to clean it regularly to maintain hygiene.
Use strong detergents for washing:
In order to prevent the growth of black mold inside water bottles, detergents or other chemical solutions like phenol or Dettol should be diluted with water.
This lowers the pH of the water bottle, and since molds require a certain pH to survive, mold growth is inhibited below that pH.
Using hot water for cleaning:
Molds require a specific temperature to grow; as the temperature rises, the mold’s cells burst, and it is unable to continue growing.
Therefore, cleaning with hot water stops the growth of mold inside the water bottle, where it cannot flourish.
vinegar can be a powerful treatment to stop the growth of mold when it is diluted with water.
With this vinegar solution, mold growth in the water bottle will be prevented, but frequent washing with vinegar is required because mold may re-emerge there.
As vinegar lowers the pH of the molds, which makes them incapable of surviving if the pH decreases.
Cleaning with bleach solution:
When bleach and water are combined, a powerful acidic solution is created that releases molecular oxygen that terminates facultative molds and stops them from growing by breaking their cell walls.
Bleach is effective at precipitating mold protein, which also terminates cells directly.
Health risk of black mold in the water bottle:
Among the other molds that we mostly see, black mold is the most toxin one. So, consuming it through the water bottle can cause illness in your body.
Black mold may not react as life-threatening but consuming or inhaling a greater amount can be harmful. The mycotoxins it generates and byproducts it produces are eventually harmful to ingest or inhale.
However, the level of health risk depends on the immune system as a certain amount of black mold and its toxins can be dissolved by the stomach acid if the person is an adult and has a healthy body.
But for children and elder people it can cause various health risks. Here the health risks given below that black mold poses:
Due to the byproducts of mold that is full of nitrogen, black mold can cause diarrhea.
Mostly the children face this and can have stomach pain. As the children don’t have a stronger immune system, consuming black mold can certainly invade them.
If the black mold is ingested in a plenty amount from the water bottle or any other way, your stomach can’t absorb it and can have reactions like vomiting.
As the black mold spreads through spores, there are hundreds of spores that can be found in the water bottle.
If the spores are consumed or inhaled, it can infect the lungs. Elderly people can face asthma and other respiratory dissimulation by it.
How to prevent black mold in the water bottle?
Black mold can be found in damp places as they require moisture for their growth. As the water bottle contains moisture there’s a high possibility of growing mold inside it if it’s not cleaned for a long time.
If you observe black or gray texture inside the bottle, be cautious because it’s the black mold.
Black mold can be harmful for health especially for children and elderly people. It harms the respiratory system, causes headache, vomiting, breathing issues, nausea etc.
In fact, if the black mold gets in contact with the body, you can experience skin rashes and watery eyes. So, once you observe your water bottle contains black mold, take precautionary measures as soon as possible to stop the growth.
Keep the bottle clean:
Cleanliness is the key to keep anything well for a long time. Thoroughly wash the water bottle at least two times a week using hot water and detergent.
Clean the bottle with vinegar once a month for a deep wash and remove any bad odor.
Ensure air flow and sunlight after every wash:
It’s a great way to keep the water bottle without being infected with mold. After you wash the bottle, keep it near the fan for proper air flow and place it where the sunlight enters.
Don’t keep it open:
Once the bottle is dry, keep it close. Also, after filling it with water, don’t keep it open for long as mold can attract on it.
Black mold is harmful for health due to its toxicity. They can grow in water bottles if they get moisture, dirt and food in it. They can rapidly grow, so preventive measures are essential. Cleaning with detergent or disinfection solutions in hot water or vinegar can reduce their growth.
I am an architect with over 5 years of experience in the design and installation of interior and exterior design projects. I have also been a home improvement expert for many years, so I know how to improve your home’s look and feel. I would love to help you build the perfect home for your family!
Read more about the author here.