For most people, the bathroom vanity should be the first thing that catches your eye when you enter a bathroom. This is why it is important to pick the right one. The biggest factor to consider before getting your bathroom vanity is height.
Do bathroom vanities come in different heights?
Yes. There is no fixed height for bathroom vanities. The most common height used is 32 inches, and most of them range from 32 to 36. Modern bathroom vanities are increasing in height to avoid the pain of bending over while using the sink. The height depends on your lifestyle and personal preference.
Are all bathroom vanities the same height?
No. They come in different shapes and sizes. Most bathroom vanities are between the range of 32 to 36 inches. Traditional bathroom vanities used to be around 32 inches, but in recent years, people prefer taller ones around 36 inches.
What is the standard height for a bathroom vanity?
The standard height for bathroom vanities has been around 30 to 32 inches for a long time. This is preferable to people who aren’t that tall and have small children. But this range is getting less common lately because people are taller than their ancestors were.
What is “comfort height vanity”?
Comfort height vanity is exactly what its name suggests it is. Comfort height vanity refers to the height which is greater than the standard height to minimize the pain of bending over to use the sink. Hence, it is the height of a bathroom vanity suiting to your comfort.
Comfort height vanity is becoming more popular than ever. In recent years, people are inclined to follow this trend. The reason for this is because people have easier access to the sink, and it results in overall less back pain.
What is the comfort height of a bathroom vanity?
The comfort height of a bathroom vanity is set around 36 inches. But your comfort height might be different. No worries because retailers can customize according to what’s comfortable for you and the people you live with.
Before doing that, you need to consider a few factors.
- Do you have children?
- Are there any people in wheelchairs?
- Does anyone in your house struggle with back pain?
- Do you live alone?
If you have children who are small or planning to have children in the future, it can be hard for them to access the countertop if the bathroom vanity height is too much. The standard height of around 32 inches will suit them more.
The same goes for anyone in your house who uses a wheelchair. They will not be able to reach the countertop if the vanities are stretched too high.
Although, if anyone in your house struggles with back pain, it can be tough for them to use the standard bathroom vanities.
They will have to bend over every time to use the sink or countertop. With the help of a comfortable height vanity, their back pain can be reduced. If you live alone, then just customize it according to your height.
You will have more space underneath your countertop and a modern, stylish look if you have a tall bathroom vanity.
If the height of your bathroom vanity is too much, it can look odd compared to the size of your bathroom. If you are more into the design of it, it’s best not to stretch the height more than 42 inches.
What is a vessel sink vanity? Are they outdated?
A vessel sink vanity is a vanity that has a sink on top of the countertop of your bathroom instead of the common under-mount sink, which is installed below the counter.
The idea of it was formed ages ago. They were first trending back in the 2000s, but the popularity has not faded. It is an attention-grabbing feature. However, it does come with some drawbacks.
Let’s take note of the benefits first.
- Elegance. A vessel sink vanity is rather an elegant and stylish addition to a home. This is especially because of the different kinds of material it has. Vessel sinks can be made out of marble, granite, glass, ceramic, and many others.
- Greater space on the countertop. Vessel sinks don’t take up much space compared to under-mount sinks. Now, you can fill it up with your bathroom accessories.
- Easy installation. It is so easy to install that you can do it yourself. All you have to do is make a hole into the countertop, and you can also replace it easily when you feel like it.
As great as this sounds, many people regret having a vessel sink vanity, and here is why.
- Hard to clean. Dirt can get stuck between the sink and the countertop. And water will likely spill all over and not only on the vessel sink. You can struggle with cleaning this.
- No overflow drain. They can get easily clogged up if you leave the faucet open.
- Not suitable for small children. It might be too high for small children to reach and use daily.
- Can get damaged. They are more likely to get cracked than other sinks.
- Stability. Not as stable as an under-mount sink because of the constant contact with the countertop.
This is why this type of vanity is more suited for a guest bathroom than a bathroom that’s needed for daily use.
How high should a bathroom vanity be with a vessel sink?
Bathroom vanities work well with vessel sinks when they are 31 inches tall. If it’s more than 34 inches, small children or short people will not be able to reach it.
But the standard height can be suited for all sizes since having a vessel sink on top of bathroom vanities can reduce back pain for tall people.
Vessel sinks themselves take up to 5-6 additional inches, which is why it’s better if the height of the vanity is less or standard height. A good range would be around 26 to 30 inches.
What is a floating bathroom vanity?
A floating bathroom vanity is a vanity that is placed at a specific height making it look like it’s floating. This is a recent trend that is mostly seen in modern bathrooms. It gives a bathroom a sophisticated and modern look.
Benefits of having a floating bathroom vanity:
- Easier to clean. There are no corners or odd edges, which makes cleaning simpler since you’ll be able to reach all the surfaces.
- Ideal for everyone including children and people in wheelchairs. You can easily accommodate a wheelchair or a step stool for your toddler with the added space available underneath.
- Provides more space. It frees up space from the bottom of the vanity and hence perfect for small bathrooms.
Setbacks of having a floating bathroom vanity:
- Reduced storage space compared to traditional vanities.
- Does not have a grounding base to rest on. This is why you have to regularly check the bolts installed with the vanity to make sure it does not fall. This can be considered a safety hazard.
How high should a floating bathroom vanity be?
One of the main benefits of a floating bathroom vanity is that the vanity can be installed at any level whether it is the comfort level height or the standard level height. So it is up to you where you want to place it. Just make sure it’s not too high.
Can a bathroom vanity be raised?
Yes! If you want to raise your bathroom vanity, it is probably one of the standard ones. It can be hard for tall people to get accustomed to the standard ones but have no fear because you can raise your bathroom vanity. Many people face this problem.
How to add height to an existing bathroom vanity?
There are many ways to do it. If your bathroom vanity does not include adjustable legs, there are other ways to raise it.
- Buy adjustable cabinet legs. They are very easy to use and only a little effort is required. Keep in mind that the legs will be exposed so if you think it will tarnish your vanity design, don’t purchase it.
- Raise the countertop. Just add a new framing instead of increasing the height of the vanity completely. This is one of the cheapest methods to raise your bathroom vanity. You will also have more cabinet space.
- Wood foundation. A lot of work is required for this. You will have to remove your bathroom vanity completely for starters and replace the bottom with a wood foundation to increase the height of it. The wood foundation will have to be screwed into the floor to prevent the vanity from moving around.
- Adding permanent legs. This is a strong commitment because once you do it, you can’t go back. A new framing will have to be added to the base of your bathroom vanity where the permanent legs will be screwed in. You can also do this on your own at home but it’s best to look for a step-to-step guide on how to do this.
- Raise floating bathroom vanity. If you have a floating bathroom vanity then you can just remount it. Remove and attach the bathroom vanity to the wall as you prefer. You have to unscrew the existing one first.
How high should a mirror be above a bathroom vanity?
This depends on the shape and size of the mirror as well as the length of your sink and faucet. But the most essential part is to keep it eye-level for everyone.
For that, just measure the height of the people living in your home and find the average height. You could either hang the mirror 5-6 inches above the sink or above the highest part of your faucet.
What is the standard height of a bathroom vanity light or sconces?
75 to 80 inches is the standard height for vanity lighting from the floor to the center of the light.
But for scones, they are usually placed 64 inches from the floor so that it’s at eye-level.
These are just the standard measurements; you can customize it according to your height and space.
Hope this clears your confusion about what kind of bathroom vanity to purchase.